Saturday, September 4, 2010

Joe Jonas talks running, social responsibility and Bieber


Joe Jonas, let's admit it, our favorite of the crooning, swoon-inducing Jonas Brothers, will be running Monday morning in the Joe Jonas iWin 5k Fun Run/Walk at Nova Southeastern University in Davie. The NSU run is one of several events that Jonas and his Change for the Children Foundation is hosting across the country to raise funds for Special Olympics. Jonas is no stranger to this kind of work: He and his brothers won the 2010 Do Something Music Artist Award, presented by VH1 and dosomething.org to recognize socially conscious and volunteer-related efforts of young artists.
We had a quick phone chat with Joe, modest and almost bashful, from Cleveland, a stop on the Jonas Brothers' tour that on Tuesday hits the Cruzan Amphitheatre near West Palm Beach.

Tell us about your relationship with Special Olympics.
It's something that's been in my heart for a long time now. I started working with them about a year ago. I like to run, so we came up with the idea to do a fun run, where everyone could particiapte. We did a run in San Antonio and it turned out really well.

You are pop superheroes, using your powers for good. Not the case will all pop stars. Was that always a goal when you were coming up?
We were raised to always give back. Individually, we all do what we have something in our heart for: With Nick it's diabetes research, and Kevin works on volunteerism.
And we get a lot back from the experience. I was talking to a girl on the phone the other day... and she’s not going to live very much longer. And I just kept talking to her and talking to her. I spoke to her for about an hour. We were shooting the Arthur Ashe Kids Day [concert at the U.S. Open in New York], and I held up production, but I just had to keep talking to her. She was so adorable.

At the fun run on Monday, you'll be running right there with the other runners? Could be pretty hot. Are you prepared?
“I’ve been training. [His tone suggested a big grin on his face.] I just got out of the gym. I have a new trainer, and we do different workouts. I try to work in a few miles every day. Today we did a 5K.”

Do you listen to an iPod when you run? What's in it these days?
I really like a band called Band of Horses. And the new album by the Black Keys. It's really good. As far as music I run with, I’ve also been listening to a lot of dance pop, stuff from Europe. Anything the carries a beat. I love to listen to music when I run, like totally zoning out to an entire album.

Bieber?
Sure, I have a couple of his songs. I couldn’t be happier for the guy.

Anything special for fans at the concert?
We're pretty excited to be there. We haven’t toured, or stopped there in a while. When we were routing this tour we made it known that we have to go to Florida.

You’ll be in town for a couple of days with the run and the concert. Where do you like to hang out in South Florida?
Oh, I just love the beach, man. Get me to the beach, and I'm happy.

IF YOU GO
The Joe Jonas iWin 5k Fun Run/Walk begins at 8 a.m. Monday on Nova Southeastern University's main campus, 3301 College Ave., in Davie. Registration is $30 through Sunday (jonasfunrunfl.com) and $45 on site, beginning at 6 a.m. Info: 954-262-2150.
The Jonas Brothers perform in concert Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Cruzan Amphitheatre, 601-7 Sansbury's Way, West Palm Beach. Demi Lovato opens. Tickets: $38-$92.90 at Ticketmaster. Info: 800-745-3000.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com