Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Jonas Bro Helps Raise Thousands for Special Olympics

 

Middle singing sibling Joe draws hundreds to race

 Hundreds of anxious girls showed up to Nova Southeastern University as early as 5 a.m. Monday morning to catch a glimpse of singing superstar Joe Jonas. The teenybopper was at the university to host the first annual iWin 5K Fun Run/Walk to benefit the Special Olympics of Florida."I'm going to scream! I'm going to scream so loud," said Michelle Canazaro, "I don't care it'll hurt my throat that's how much I'm going to scream," she said. Canazaro was not alone; when Joe Jonas, the middle brother of the trio of Jonas brothers, walked out to join the race, the crowd went wild.

"This cause is important to me because I've always had a heart for these amazing athletes that are a part of the Special Olympics," Joe said. "It's amazing to see them come to our concerts and support us, so I want to be able to support them in any way I can."
As of race time, more than 600 participants registered, and hundreds more signed up the day of. Organizers hope that with Jonas's star power, they will raise more than $100,000 for Special Olympics of Florida. 

"Today is a great day beacause we're here with a young man who's got a big heart," said Chairman Paul Sallarulo. "It takes us a year to get 700 people, and in five days he got up to 1,000 people."
Joe's younger brother, Nick, joined Joe in the 5K run. The funds raised will help give all Special Olympics Florida chapters the ability to continue to provide free year-round sports training and competition to more than 15,000 children and adults with intellectual

 

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com